Fearing a collapse of the health sector with the strike notice served by the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), the government at the weekend began moves to restore order.
The JOHESU 15-day notice, served on September 12, followed last week’s 21-day strike notice by the Nigeria Medical Association.
Resident doctors, under the aegis of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), have been on strike since August 2.
They have been undeterred by the suit filed by the Federal Government at the National Industrial Court and the invocation of the “no-work-no-pay” rule.
Minister of Labour and Employment Chris Ngige rushed to Aso Villa for consultation with President Muhammadu Buhari.
He gave a window of opportunity for resident doctors to end the strike.
Ngige told reporters at the Aso Villa that the government was ready to withdraw the suit if the doctors agreed to call off the strike.
According to the Nation, Ngige would meet with JOHESU tomorrow to stave off their planned strike.
But the resident doctors rejected the minister’s overtures and vowed to continue.
Ngige said: “I am surprised that they are issuing that threat on the issues that are undergoing reconciliation already and which we have almost finished. They are still putting them as part of new issues.