Cristiano Ronaldo will not face criminal charges over an alleged rape in Las Vegas, U.S. prosecutors have said.
Kathryn Mayorga, 35, accused the former Manchester United star he had attacked in her a Sin City suite in 2009.
The footballer had vehemently denied her accusations.
On Monday, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said it had made a decision not to prosecute as “the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Detailing the case, calling Mayorga ‘V’ prosecutors explained their decision.
“Members of law enforcement responded to her location to take a crime report. Police transported V to the hospital so that a sexual assault examination could be conducted.”
“A short time later, sexual assault detectives arrived at the hospital and made contact with V.
“Although she knew who the person was who assaulted her, V refused to identify him or disclose where the crime occurred.
“As a result, the police were unable to follow investigative protocols for sexual assault cases or to conduct any meaningful investigation. Without knowing the identity of the perpetrator or the location of the crime, detectives were unable to search for and impound vital forensic evidence.
“In addition, video evidence, showing interactions between the victim and perpetrator before and after the alleged crime, was lost. The criminal investigation was closed.”
“V and Cristiano Ronaldo, through their respective attorneys, eventually reached a civil settlement related to this matter in 2010. For the next eight years, law enforcement heard nothing more from V regarding the crime or the perpetrator.”
“On August 28, 2018, V contacted the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, asking that her sexual assault investigation be reopened, naming Cristiano Ronaldo as the offender. In spite of the passage of over nine years, Metro investigated her allegations.
“A Request for Prosecution was submitted to the District Attorney’s Office on July 8, 2019. Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.”
In September last year, Mayorga filed a lawsuit in Las Vegas trying to overturn a £288,000 non-disclosure agreement in 2010 which she argued was signed under duress.
It came after she claimed she was sexually assaulted by the footballer on June 13, 2009, as he partied in Las Vegas.
According to her court papers, Mayorga said she went to a nightclub called Rain in the Palms Hotel and was allegedly invited by Ronaldo to go back to his 57th-floor penthouse along with a group of people.
She alleged some of the guests opted to use the hot tub on the suite’s balcony, and the superstar allegedly offered her clothing to wear because she didn’t have a swimsuit.
She said he gave her athletic shorts and a T-shirt and suggested she change in the bathroom.
The ex-model, who is now in hiding after receiving death threats from the footballer’s fans, then claims after asking to leave he sexually assaulted her.
After filing her claim, Juventus star Ronaldo took to Instagram to protest his innocence.
“What they said today: Fake, fake news,” he said in a video posted on Instagram.
“They want to promote by my name. It’s normal. They want to be famous,” he continued.
“It’s part of the job. I’m a happy man and all good.”
In a statement, he later said: “I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.
“Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.
“My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.”