The very vocal, vibrant, and young Stakeholders under the auspices of the Concerned PDP League have finally resolved to officially declare their support for zoning the Nigerian presidency to the South after 8 years in the North.
The group made the declaration in a Communiqué arising from their meeting held on Saturday 15th January 2022, in Abuja, and made available to reporters by its Spokesperson, Mrs. Rashidat Abubakar, on Tuesday in Abuja.
The communiqué was jointly signed by the groups’ Leader, Comrade Daboikiabo Z. Warmate; Deputy Leader Hajiya Fatima Umar, General Secretary, Alh. Tasiu Mohammed; Director of Legal, Barr. Ephraim Nwabuaze, Director of Organization and Mobilization, Comrade Gbenga Adedamola and Director of Media and Advocacy, Mrs. Rashidat Abubakar.
According to the communiqué, the National Executive Members of the Concerned PDP League, have resolved to officially declare support for the Nigerian presidency to be zoned to Southern Nigeria, and said as follows:
1. “All PDP members are Nigerians not all Nigerians are PDP members and that the Northern region has ruled Nigeria for 46 years out of the 62 years of the existence of Nigeria both democratically and Militarily. So it will only be fair for the presidency to move to the southern part of Nigeria for a sense of belonging, equity and fairness”.
2. ”That this very resolve is anchored on our firm belief in equity, fairness, and justice, which characterise the basic essence and foundation of our democracy.
3 ”That we are solidly charged to state that Nigeria has sailed safely and peacefully, in terms of mutual understanding amongst the various geopolitical zones in our country, and hence the need to promote national unity.
4. ”That the hinges that allow political power to swing between north and south have equitably been operated upon by political actors, irrespective of their leaning and interest, just as we have recorded fewer power tussles in the PDP.
4. ”That Lately, Nigeria, which is the big picture, superstructure and a superset from where all political parties make their calculations and permutations, form interests and should be the focus of all political parties, especially our party; the Peoples Democratic Party-PDP.
5. ”That our great party build the fulcrum of it’s operations, pitch it’s survival and existence, mostly around winning elections, especially presidential election. These are the already entrenched patterns of aspirations in Nigeria.
6. ”That going by convention and the usual practice in Nigeria, Buhari will be exiting office on 29th May 2023, after completing his constitutionally allowed eight (8) years in office. And thereafter, we appeal that the south should be given a chance.
7. ”That as Nigerians before becoming PDP patriots, we are fully convinced that the most viable way for our great party to win the 2023 presidency, re-enact and foster the common and agelong cooperation of power rotation between north and south in Nigeria is to earnestly ask and call for the general support for a President from the south, which we believe that is due and very appropriate.
8. ”That, for instance, going by Chapter 1, Section 7(3)(a-c) of the PDP constitution (as amended 2017), for us to ensure equity, fairness and justice, our party- PDP, will zone and rotate political offices between north and south. And as it stands, the north has just produced Senator Iyorchia Ayu, from Benue State, from the north, as the current National Chairman of our dear party, and his tenure will last for four years.
9. ”That, we believe to enthrone justice in PDP and in Nigeria. The south will be supported by all to produce the next presidential flag bearer of PDP. And this is our stand.
10. ”That in solidarity, we call on the PDP stakeholders in the south to rise up to this task and save our country, Nigeria, from the APC misrule. And let us be reminded that southern Nigeria has capable hands and competent leaders who can rescue and rebuild Nigeria more than the APC – Buhari government. And we call on l the NEC, NWC, BoT, PDP Governor’s Forum, and all critical and non-critical stakeholders and entire Nigeria, to support the south to give Nigeria their best hand”.
11. ”In conclusion, that as political events unfold, we, the Concerned PDP League, have affirmed to render unflinching support, loyalty and mobilisation to PDP aspirants, and candidate from the south, that will emerge as PDP presidential flag bearer.
Long Live Nigeria, Long Live PD, PLong Live Concerned PDP League